[OZAPRS] VX8 Now connecting.

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Thu Jan 7 20:14:44 AEDT 2016

Good news, Ashley. Great that you now have it running.

I looked for you on aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi/#%21call=a%2FVK4HSA-9> but
nothing was found. Eventually discovered your call is set to UK4HSA-9
<http://aprs.fi/#%21mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FUK4HSA-9> so you might like
to make a slight correction :)

Personally I use -9 as the SSID for my mobile on 2m and -7
<http://aprs.fi/#%21mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVK2IO-7> in my VX-8R
hand-held as per the guidelines
<http://www.aprs.net.au/general/standard-ssids>. The SSID of -7 is for
any hand-held, not just the Kenwood D7. Mine is carried on SOTA
activations sometimes and the range can be very limited. I've had a lot
more success using a full quarter wave antenna (Diamond SRH940) and a
quarter wave ground element attached to the antenna socket. The element
is made using a spade lug and 490mm of insulated wire. The spade lug is
slipped under the SRH940 as it is tightened up. Works a treat and
extends the range several times over a rubber ducky.

See you on the screen <http://aprs.fi/#%21call=a%2FVK4HSA-9>!

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO