[OZAPRS] hardware suggestions

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Feb 18 13:28:10 AEDT 2016

Things staying the same makes it easier for old blokes like me, hi.

Likewise here with HV/LV transformers having manual tap changers, with
usually 5 steps. We ran a nominally 11,000 volt system so the tap
changer had taps at 10,500, 10750, 11,000, 11250 and 11,500, but our
adjacent neighbour at the time (amalgamated since 1980) used a nominal
supply of 10,500 so their transformers had that voltage as the centre
(middle) setting. I can't remember how many steps the auto-tap changers
in zone sub-stations had. I should because I calibrated them often
enough, but the passage of time ....... rhubarb, rhubarb.

When I went out as SIO in 1974 the area where I worked still had a
bucket load of 7/.080 copper mains in the air, and sometimes half a mile
of it to the end consumers. Back then the first indication the consumer
had about voltage issues was usually the TV picture shrinking during the
evening peak. All of that 7/.080 is long gone and so have valve TVs,
solving two problems.

Ray vk2tv