[OZAPRS] HF igate stations - thank you :-) (2nd attempt!)

Phil Shields shields_phil at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 18 15:46:16 EST 2015

My pleasure, VK2CPR-4

     On Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 13:26, "Terry, VK5ATN" <vk5atn at internode.on.net> wrote:

 (Apparently it doesn't like html)

Last week we made a pilgrimage to one of my favourite places - Arkaroola
in the northern Flinders Rages.    This was also a shakedown test for
our most recent 4WD vehicle, and its HF installation.

Essentially I used the same equipment as in the previous vehicle (ex
farm ute), but the installation was modified extensively to meet the
complexities of the new vehicle.  My thanks go to Gordon (VK4VP) for
his generous advice on the installation in his Pajero; his radio rack
was one of the details which I copied very closely.

I am happy to say that it worked well.  All credit for this of course is
due to those generous amateurs in several states who run a HF Igate
station on 30 metres.  My thanks to each and every one of you.  Without
your generous support, my experiments would have been futile.  The list
for the last day (trip home) is here.

http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/mobile-VK5ATN-8?date=2015-08-15

Other days can be discovered from the same page.

The station is a IC-706 remotely mounted @ 40 watts, a TT3 with a Garmin
GPS18 on the roof (a crud generator - but it works).  The antenna is a
Mobile One 5 ft heavy duty whip for 27MHz rewound for 30 metres mounted
on the bull bar.

Arkaroola can be recommended for scenery and (if you choose) 4WD
challenges.  There is no mobile phone coverage at all, they have a UHF
CB repeater, and an excellent internet facility is now available for
considerate use for a very nominal fee.  Besides, the HF spectrum is so
quiet up there (after what I have here in the township) that there is
immediate temptation to move there permanently.

73 and thanks again,
Terry
VK5ATN

---