[OZAPRS] MICE usage

owen owen at owenduffy.net
Tue Sep 23 15:37:03 EST 2014

Hello Dom, All,

An interesting possible explanation, and it may partly account for the
observations.

However, here is one of TKK's posits:

2014-09-23 12:02:47 EST: *VK3TKK-9
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK3TKK-9>*>ST43ZL,VK2AMW-1*
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2AMW-1>,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2NR-5
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2NR-5>:`MV<0x1c>qzZ>/`";3}Just cruising ^:-}_"
2014-09-23 12:02:48 EST: *VK3TKK-9
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK3TKK-9>*>ST43ZL,VK2AMW-1
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2AMW-1>,VK2RTZ-1
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2RTZ-1>,WIDE2*,qAR,VK2ZEN-5
<http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2ZEN-5>:`MV qzZ>/`";3}Just cruising ^:-}_"

Look at the  <0x1c> in NR's submission, and see that in ZEN's for the
same posit, there is a blank.

Some software developers think that AX.25 packets contain printable
characters, and substitute non-printables (eg with a space as here) and
so corrupt the packets. It seems aprsd developers may have thought that way.

MICE packets are not purely printable characters, and it is presumptuous
for any server handling traffic to edit the contents of a another
parties packet 'info' section.

I think this problem in aprsd has been known for more than a decade.

Best way to avoid position reports if that is a concern is to turn the
thing off, and it saves bandwidth otherwise utilised by garbage!

73
Owen