[OZAPRS] MICE usage

owen owen at owenduffy.net
Tue Sep 23 15:00:14 EST 2014

Hello All,

In the past, I have been a devotee of MIC encoding as it reduced packet
size, reducing channel utilisation and increasing probability of
successful transmission.

But... I have review that position seeing the existence and continued
operation of nodes that corrupt MICE packets.

An example of the effect is VK3TKK-9's track up the Hume today, see
http://owenduffy.net/files/Screenshot%20-%2023_09_2014%20,%2013_20_03.png .

No, he is not drunk... his MICE packets are corrupted by VK2ZEN-5 and
hence the gross track errors.

My suggestion is to NOT use MIC encoding as there would seem little
chance of fixing network infrastructure.

73
Owen