[OZAPRS] Digipeaters and iGATE's

Dom Dahl vk2hj69 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:01:17 EST 2014

Hi Peter and Group

Its great that your wanting to help fill in a black spot. I think with your
location having internet access that microsat be a great option. If your in
ear shot of other digis maybe a "fill in digi" igate option would work
well. Also VK2RMY-1 digipeater / igate uses microsat.

I think today with a lot of these radios that have APRS build it is great
and certainly is increasing the activity on the channel. But as with any
radio RTFM is a good start. Not leaving things set to default and
understanding what the all the APRS settings mean.

I think the major issue which Owen has pointed out is conjestion on the
channel which causes more missed packets reaching an I-gate. The thing is,
I have seen many portable stations with Kenwoods D710 that set up a "Fill
in Digi" supposadility and actually setup a "WIDE2" digi instead. One was
setup in the Bowral a few months back which already has two "WIDE2" digis
(Which is an overkill). This just adds so much unwanted traffic to the
network and mostly because HAMS don't understand what they are doing. (I
understand we can all make mistakes but if your not sure ask!!!)

I also think that with the increasing amount of igates that have appeared
that 1 hop is nearly a certainty to reach at least 1 or more igates which
Owen has confirmed in his studies. Why 3 hops. Do you really want to see
traffic 300+km away on your D710 while mobile??

I have heard others say the they use APRS as a propagation tool. Well
that's not its purpose and nor should it be. If you want to look at
propagation on 2m use WSPR or use the beacons as that's what its designed
for.

Cheers

Dom
VK2HJ