[OZAPRS] Digipeaters and iGATE's

Owen Duffy owen at owenduffy.net
Sun Oct 19 14:58:23 EST 2014

On 19/10/2014 9:42, Liz VK2XSE wrote:
> ... Unlike Owen, I would digipeat, because users of Kenwood 700 and
> 710 gear like to see who is travelling around at the same time as they
> are (maybe strike up a conversation on the voice repeater as well).
Interesting you mention that.

It had occurred to me when I ask the question "why digipeat if also an
iGate".

I have been working on a new feature in aprx "lastrepeat" which can be
applied to a source and its transmitted packets (if it passes the usual
criteria) will have all the 'Has been repeated' flags set in the header,
so no other digipeater should repeat them. This effectively repeats the
packet for 'local consumption only'.

The main benefit is traffic reduction in the wider network. A side
benefit is that it will prevent a small number of packets reaching other
digipeaters which might corrupt it.

I have not seen this is other digis, it may be novel.

I expect to post updates to the repo later today when I have completed
testing... all good so far.

Here is an example, packet heard direct and repeated expired:

2014-10-19 00:24:10.848 VK2OMD-3  R
VK2GKA-7>ST30T5,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:`N7*)7M'/>"@;}=
2014-10-19 00:24:10.850 VK2OMD-3  T
VK2GKA-7>ST30T5,WIDE1-1*,WIDE2-1*:`N7*)7M'/>"@;}=<0x0d>