[OZAPRS] Are 4 x iGates in Sydney too many?

Joshua Mesilane josh at zindello.com.au
Fri May 23 11:56:06 EST 2014

You're assuming the only purpose of APRS is to get into the APRS-IS
network. What about messaging, or the other people that might be *just* out
of hearing range of the other station. Depending on how the IGate are
configured they may re-broadcast the packet that you're putting onto the
APRS-IS network anyway, so a digi really adds no additional RF traffic,
while enhancing the other features of APRS.

If you're running the IGate in receive only, you also run the risk of
breaking messaging.

---
VK3XJM
0416039082