[OZAPRS] Are 4 x iGates in Sydney too many?

Jason Ball jason at ball.net
Fri May 23 11:44:27 EST 2014

There are a lot of holes left around Sydney with the loss of vk2us, lots of
black spots as it's a reasonably hilly place.    I'm planning on
recommissioning my igate once I put up another dual band antenna for it as
I find I can catch quiet a few stations that are missed by the other gates
aa I have a little more elevation to work with.

Its been a while since I've checked but the 2m frequency wasn't all _that_
congested.   There is some activity that may result in a new CBD based
digipeater, but I won't go in to details until this has progressed beyond
the hopeful planning stage.

I don't see the amount of aprs traffic in sydney posing any particular
problem for the servers, its not _that_ busy. (or at least... it wasn't...)

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM, <vk2ycj at bravo.net.au> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Can you explain something to me ?
>
> I assume that in a heavily populated area there can be one or two iGates
> for Internet connectivity and as many digipeaters as you can muster - to
> help get better and better coverage to the whole area and the blackspots.
>
> If all of this is done on 145.175 MHz then things can get congested pretty
> quickly with heavy traffic - and packets will be lost.
>
> Are there any working examples where people have put in dual frequency
> digipeaters - where the primary frequency is 145.175 MHz and an extra 70cm
> frequency is used as the dedicated link to the nearest iGate ?
>
> Would such a system help with congestion and reduce the loss of packets ?
>
> My APRS kit came from the Oxley Region Amateur Radio Club and is a little
> beauty.  It uses a UV-5R handheld radio as the RF device which works
> pretty well with a decent antenna on the roof of the car - but at only 2
> watts output it just cannot compete with other stations running 30-50
> watts so in busy times my signal doesn't get through and gets squashed.
>
> Assuming the nearest digipeater hears my signal is there any guarantee
> that the data gets through from that digipeater to the iGate ?  So do
> digipeaters and iGates have a special relationship to get the data through
> at any cost ?
>
> And another question relating to Newcastle.   Our main digipeater is up on
> the Sugarloaf Range and the nearest iGate is on a large building in Hunter
> Street West - in the Newcastle CBD.  If I'm driving around Newcastle City
> do my APRS packets have to go via the Sugarloaf digipeater and then to the
> igate - or if I am close to the iGate will it accept my packets ?
>

> Very interesting stuff, thanks, Jamie VK2YCJ
>

> > Unfortuately there is no longer a digi in a good coverage area. ARNSW are
> > consideringthe possibility  puting one a Dural, but not until the
>  current
> > tower is replaced , which may be 12 - 18 months.
> >
> > It would be good to get one back on  the top of a CBD / North Sydney /
> > Chatswood  building for coverage.
> >
> > Dave vk2jdh
> > Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:47:13 +1000
> > From: vk2him at gmail.com
> > To: ozaprs at aprs.net.au
> > Subject: [OZAPRS] Are 4 x iGates in Sydney too many?
> >

> > I've noticed we now have at least 4 x iGates
> >  in Sydney, I would have thought that's too many and may be adding extra
> >  loads on the sever as they all gate the same traffic?
> >
> > Ian vk2him

Teach your kids Science, or somebody else will :/

jason at ball.net
vk2vjb at google.com <vk2flnx at google.com>
callsign: vk2vjb