[OZAPRS] HF APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Mar 1 10:31:06 EST 2014

I used a flat-top dipole at 45' very successfully.

I had planned a Wells Quadrant* to give omnidirectional horizontal
radiation but I moved from Antenna Heaven to a suburban block<sigh>.

* The best description of a Wells Quadrant is a centre-fed full-wave
dipole with one leg at right angles to the other at the feed point. The
antenna is erected horizontally. Zo is very high (typically around 6000
ohms for a thin wire version) but radiation pattern is omnidirectional,
almost perfectly so. It was described briefly in The Antenna Engineering
Handbook (Jasik) and used by the (now defunct) Australian Time and
Frequency Standard station VNG.

Ray vk2tv