[OZAPRS] ISS setup ...

Terry, VK5ATN vk5atn at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 8 08:57:37 EST 2014

Mike (VK8MA) and I have discussed this recently.

I've also been experimenting with this for quite a while now, fiddling
with deviation and different TNCs.

My current station:
Yaesu TF-1802
KPC-3
1/4 wave on roof gable.

I've found that for a reliable capture I need to use 50 watts. Currently
I'm using 25, and manage a hit on some passes but not on others.   Mike
has excellent knowledge on the space scene, and is suggesting that the
location of the antenna on the ISS certainly favours some passes more
than others.    I find that a theoretical perfect pass (ie ovehead) does
not necessarily guarantee a 'hit'. I speculate therefore therefore that
the distance from the ISS to the Igate is also a factor.     I rely on
my friends both on the eastern and western coast for success in my
experiments (Sincere thanks to those who provide this service!)

The deviation on the ISS downlink sounds very soft.   I've not measured
it, but I'd say that it's less than 2 kHz.    I could be quite wrong of
course - just an observation.

73
Terry
VK5ATN