[OZAPRS] VK2RCC not working

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 7 15:18:59 EST 2014

Liz,
	As mentioned previously, I use a Wagner 1729 for my HF APRS. It is an old crystal controlled unit
built in Australia in the 70's I believe.
	Any of the old Wagner/Codan radios used for SES/RFDS work in that period can be coaxed into working
in the 30m band however the output filters may need a tweak if you are fussy about efficiency.
	Just feed the AFSK tones from your tracker of choice into the mic input, adjust the level so you
are just under ALC threshold and that's about it.
	I had extra mounts welded on my bullbar to accommodate the APRS whip and multiband HF antenna (was
a FAMPARC, now a Tet-Emtron two piece) which I use for voice and data from my IC-706MkIIG.
	I found a recipe for winding a HF whip (can't remember where I found it but happy to share if
anyone is interested), which is aimed at the old 6ft whip used for 27M CB. In short, you pull it to
bits and use the blank to replace the windings.
	I was given a 2m long whip wound for 4055KHz, so I removed all the wire and rewound it for 30m. It
has served me extremely well on many trips.
	Don't get caught like I did and tune the antenna bare, then apply the heatshrink. Tuning the thing
was the longest part of the process as I had to readjust every time I added a length of heatshrink.

Ian
VK1IAN