[OZAPRS] HF APRS

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 25 20:48:10 EST 2014

There are problems doing that:
- Others who are tracking you need to follow two SSIDs; and
- The one "unit" will appear in two different places.
This is why the SSIDs are only a "suggestion".
Putting on my ex-military moron hat: Unit correlation is of the utmost importance.
As mentioned, I use the same SSID for both VHF and HF. Those that "know" will look at the path to
see how the posit "got in". The other non-aprs aware people (read: most of my friends and family),
will see VK1IAN-9 on a map and say "there they are!!". They don't even look at the DTG to see when
the last posit was rxed :-(
I too would like to thank all those who operate Igates as without them, HF APRS wouldn't exist.
I have recently put up a Rx only Igate, using gear normally idle unless we are away. Quite a simple
process really and I don't know why I haven't done it before.

Ian
VK1IAN