[OZAPRS] High Altitude balloon launch this weekend

Richard Murnane richard.murnane at internode.on.net
Sat Feb 8 18:43:21 EST 2014

Hi Ted,

> Any idea what eventuated with that balloon ?? It seemed to follow the highway at
> high speed and low altitude until it reached the intersection of those two roads at
> around 1522hrs then nothing further. Almost like it landed on a vehicle and fell
> off at the road junction. Verrrrry mysterious.

I think what you were looking at was the last hour or so of transmission *after* it had landed and was being driven home. Assuming you’re looking at aprs.fi, If you set the Track tail length (on the right side of the page) to, say, 6 hours, you’ll see a more revealing picture. The balloon left the ground in Deniloquin, headed ENE to a point north of where you say it at 1522, then headed back toward Deniloquin, to a height of 30+km, going east again as it descended. It landed very close to the road (very civilised of it) at about 1500.

73 Richard VK2SKY