[OZAPRS] APRX not connecting to aprsis

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Thu Dec 4 16:26:16 EST 2014

Liz,

The passcode mechanism for the APRSIS servers is not a well kept secret.
So Aprx generates it as needed from your callsign, auto-magically.

I'd suggest that if the radio switched /dev nodes then your rPi USB bus has
either crashed or reset, which would have left it in an inconsistent
state.  You're lucky you can still get in via the ethernet port, since that
is shared with your USB serial.   The USB mechanisms and kernel drivers on
rPi's is well, rather hopeless.

So if you're brave over ssh you can try ;

#sudo reboot

That is about your best remote option for resetting the thing.  Then just
ping your IP and wait, fingers crossed it comes back again.  On a windows
laptop;

#ping -t -w 5000 <your ip here>

Makes M$ ping work a little more like the *nix equivalent.

Once you have reset the rPi USB, the serial converter should enumerate as
the first serial device and be sitting there waiting for you on
/dev/ttyUSB0.  That is until the next time the rPi cracks the sh*ts at you
and resets the USB bus for fun.

For your sanity I'd accelerate the BBB conversion.  My last rPi was
recently changed to a Cubieboard2 (no more serial converters or rPi's yay!)
and I've not looked back.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM

On 4 December 2014 at 15:24, Liz Dodd <edodd55 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not home (you lot are all capable of working that bit out), and
> have a new problem with the RPi since a storm last night. The mains
> power went down for 8 hours, and the radio and Pi run off the battery
> system, so both were going all night.
> There has been some electrical disturbance, as the radio switched to
> /dev/ttyUSB1 from /dev/ttyUSB0 at some stage, but when the internet
> connection was restored I was able to adjust my settings of the ax25
> stack and get the radio and the computer talking again.
> Despite 2 restarts of aprx there is still nothing from APRS-IS in the log.
>
> Is this related to my aprx 2.7, which doesn't have a passcode in the
> system? Was I fine until the restart and am just caught out by Tier 2
> servers now needing a passcode?
> I can't do anything much at present, but any advice would be
> appreciated - I can only do things which can be done via ssh.
> When I get home it looks like the BBB will finally see service.
>
> Liz
> VK2XSE

Matthew
VK5ZM