[OZAPRS] PSK63 for APRS on HF

Gerard Hill gerardvk2io at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:24:14 EST 2014

About 4 years ago a bunch of us started experimenting with PSK
<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63> for APRS on HF. We used the APRS
Messenger <http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm>
software which supported a variety of speeds from 31 to 250 bps. It
proved far superior to FSK300 packet. I ended up running an IGate on
7034.7 kHz and a receive-only IGate on 10149.7 kHz. These PSK ports
closed 2 years ago.

APRS Messenger requires a PC running Windows and continues to be
developed so now supports GMSK250
<http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/pm-phase-modulation/what-is-gmsk-gaussian-minimum-shift-keying-tutorial.php>
and MFSK16 modes as well as PSK63 and PSK250. APRS messages contain a
checksum allowing posits to be verified before injection into the
APRS-IS. It is great software for the shack, not so convenient in the
mobile where a compact tracker is needed.

Last year, the FreeTrak63
<http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/FT63/ft63_page.html> was developed
for mobile use. It can generate PSK63 and MFSK16. Blank PCBs are available.

Anyone interested in trying PSK63 for APRS?
I'm running it on 10149.7 at the moment using VK2IO-63.

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO