[OZAPRS] connecting radio and gps to xastir

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Sep 22 17:49:12 EST 2012

Hoping for a bit of real time help here

I've got a Kenwood DM-710
a cable for the radio with a serial plug
a pl2303 usb serial adapter

the combination is recognised by xastir and it says the interface is
'UP'

however there isn't any communication between the radio and the computer
no GPS data is given to the computer from the gps connected to the radio
(previously successfully used in aprs mode)

radio is set to packet
com port is set to on
gps output set to off/waypoint/dgps tried them all, no difference

xastir says 'GPS data is older than 30 seconds!'

I tried using another gps either through gpsd or directly with xastir
and I get 'Sats/View:00 Fix:Invalid' despite the GPS telling me it has
a GPS fix of good quality.

xastir is talking with aprs servers and downloading data

I thought it would just be a problem with the radio connection setup but
the failure of xastir to read any gps data from another gps makes me
wonder what else I have wrong