[OZAPRS] APRS in Rmote region outside of APRS RF coverage.

David Uzzell david at uzzell.com.au
Sun Oct 14 10:24:06 EST 2012

I have iPhone OpenAPRS and IBCNU etc all for the iPhone to run as well
which is great but doesn't solve the long term solution of having it
running when I am not even in the car with my iPhone or the coverage is
marginal if any at all on the iPhone but GPRS modem can with External
Ant get coverage which happens more out this way than most people want
to consider. Smartphone tech is only good when good coverage cause they
don't come with external Antenna sockets.

I have thought about HF but I don't have the HF rig in the ute full time
only when travel on holidays and when this is the case I will certainly
be using it, one reason I decided on TT4 cause it is so versitile in
doing so many things from digi to tracker and igate etc all in one package.

David Uzzell

On 14/10/2012 9:03 AM, Chris wrote:
> Hi
>
> Try IBCNU app for an iphone.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Chris Herd
>
> On 14/10/2012, at 9:47 AM, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
>
>> I am thinking the same way
>>
>> Using perl to send posits
>>
>> Using eepc and GPRS modem
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Andrew Rich
>>
>> On 14/10/2012, at 8:41 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

>>> I've been trying to make this work with variable success, using a
>>> GPS > Kenwood D710 > Eeepc 701 running xastir > GPRS modem.
>>>
>>> There are more than 4 different points of failure so far, including the
>>> modem getting overheated on the dash and cutting out.
>>>
>>> So some days it works, and some days it just doesn't. It takes about 5
>>> min to get my system started.
>>>
>>> I've got a Neo Freerunner sitting on my desk and am considering using
>>> that for computer + modem.
>>>
>>> Liz VK2XSE

Best Wishes
David Uzzell