[OZAPRS] HELP WITH GARMIN NUVI 350 & OT3m

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sun Oct 14 10:48:39 EST 2012

Will try and help

Equipment

+ I see a radio FT8800R ( Audio device )
+ I see a Garmin NUVI 350 - navigator  ( Digital device )
+ I see a TNC Argent System OT 3 TNC ( Audio / digital device )
+ A cable to connect the Garmin to I assume OT3 TNC

Issues

+ Garmin is not functioning as expected - not displaying POI ( assume input to GARMIN - digital )
+ Garmin is not RX messages or sending from FMI ( GPS )
+ Can't get the Test Tones to work ( I assume you mean TX ) by using a separete RX

Questions

+ Is the FMI ( GPS ) the Garmin ?
+ Does the OT3 do these functions ?
+ What do you mean by "speaker" ?

Suggestions

+ Do you have access to a scope ?
+ Or even a logic probe
+ You need some basic test gear
+ Configs, baud rates, parity.length
+ How would the test tones test help your situation ? I assume you are plugging in to the OT3 with a PC and removing the Garmin ?
+ Does the OT3 have two different modes ? TNC and Tracker ?

I assume this all works somewhere else, it is a config or connection issue ?

- Andrew VK4TEC -