[OZAPRS] set up ford territory

Bob VK6KW rlockley at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 28 01:58:01 EST 2012

Sorry Pete,
Bad move if it is #1 battery.
Figure this... radio connected as you described + & - direct to batt, both
fused :-
During use/over time Batt -ve strap to body gets loose or resistance
increases or is disconnected for some reason...
One cold morning you crank the engine... what does it draw 200A? 400A? 600A
for diesel?  All those amps gotta get back to the -ve terminal somehow...
You have provided lovely low R path from antenna mount ground to body via
coax braid to radio, possibly even radio grounded to body as well, and
direct to the -ve batt term. 50A fuse carries a lovely lot of current and
creates much fun when the insulation melts off those two cables especially
where they are bundled to the loom here and there.

I saw it once in a farm ute with a bushfire radio installed (not mine) it
took months before problems stopped - we should have simply replaced the
whole loom outright!
There are other scenarios that can lead to similar results.

Lesson: #1 the batt -ve terminal should have only ONE connection, the earth
strap to the body. This also makes quick isolation possible and safe in an
emergency.
#2 all other "earths" go to the body to a SEPARATE point as close as you
like to the first but not on it. Any loop created will be very small.
#3 Do not fuse the ground wire unless the item warranty depends on it and
then use the same value fuse as the supply.
#4 Do exactly the same with connections to the AUX batt i.e. (solitary
ground) unless it is totally isolated from the vehicles electrical system.
#5 If you have a noise problem it is far more effective to remove or
suppress it at source than taking risks to minimise pick-up loops.

Happy and safe mobiling,
73,
Bob

Bob Lockley VK6KW mob +61(0)407 442 650
President, West Australian VHF Group Inc.
Net Control, Australian 14.116 Traveller's Net.
WIA member 132586
RAOTC 1172
NZART member 104063 Branch #99