[OZAPRS] Igate Change in Melbourne

Peter Wicklein vk3tbn at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:00:58 EST 2012

Tim
Yes Richard has the gear for MM, I need to go up and install it, which I will do in the next few weeks. I will run it from home first and test it ( hence the outage). Josh will be the Igate for Melb while that is happening, he is fairly new to the APRS team, but a great help and has some great ideas as well.  Once MM is back on the air Josh will still be the iGate , I am going to refurbish my system and (update the 90"s IBM thinkpad with 96k RAM on board) to something better ( a p4 or something) change the radio to a commercial set which will be a lot more rugged. Also I will run my igate from a battery ( poor mans UPS) going forward, which will help during storms and blackouts ( lucky I have underground power lines but still happens occasionally)
The Josh and I will alternate and support each others stations so that there is redundancy with the igates here in Melb. While mine is on standby, I will probably make it a sat gate for ISS for you crazy sat users!
I have another plan for 70cm as well for 9600 bd for a trial if your keen and can hear my place from yours, would be good to test with... if you want me to elaborate on my ideas happy to do so..
Richard is still the co-ordinator, he is busy with his family and business, which is going well for him. He put so many years of hard work into the vk3 system, its time for others to lend a hand and he can give his wise council as he does so well.
Thanks for your vote of confidence and support, as users its important that you give us feedback both good and bad, the networks is only as good as the needs it meets, so if there is something we can do, let us know
Regards
Peter