[OZAPRS] APRS Distance Records Enquiry

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Mon Dec 3 23:48:10 EST 2012

Hiya,

Just catching up on some email and saw this in Mark's email...

> Anyway, I've done a bit more investigating, and the longest path we
> got off the mildura launches was 634km,  at 33187km altitude, from
> -33.4279,142.79448 to -35.37827,149.28881 (VK2YYZ-5).

For what it's worth the station is a receive only igate;

* A Diamond X500a vertical on the side of a machine shed,
  about 3m above the ground.  Altitude of station is
  around 820m, I think the antenna is 3 stacked 5/8's on 2mx
  if my memory serves.

* A rather battered old FT208R (my first ever rig no less!)

* A random USB audio interface which is connected the workshop
  PC running soundmodem and aprsd on Ubuntu 11.04

Very pleasing to have such a long distance packet - my congratulations
to the team who put the balloon and launch together :)

vy 73
Hugh
VK2YYZ