[OZAPRS] Coffs Harbour DIGI

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed May 4 12:50:30 EST 2011

Dave,

Both vk2tv-4 and vk2rmc-1 have complimentary coverage up to Clybucca.
Once you go past that location the highway is undulating and in amongst
heavy foliage almost all of the way to Macksville. Eungai Rail is an
exception, with a brief section of the divided highway being elevated
and clear of trees. Mt. Moombil would be a good path from there. The
gotcha is that, being that the road is straight and, the cleared section
is not very long, a typical mobile "might" not beacon in that section.
 From Macksville to Nambucca Heads is relatively clear towards Moombil
but north of Nambucca Heads you get into the trees again. From somewhere
in the vicinity of Urunga Mt. Moombil is optical for a short while.

I suspect that undulating highway amongst the trees and your low power
might have been making significant contributions to your lack of
success. Add to that Coffs Harbour being below the escarpment.

vk2rdo is relatively new and has already created some aprs activity in
Coffs. It's highly probable that one or more fill-in systems will appear
in the fullness of time as the needs of the area are assessed by those
who live there and operate aprs.

Ray vk2tv