[OZAPRS] Melbourne APRS Digipeater Status

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Fri Mar 25 21:06:03 EST 2011

Yes.  It became obvious during Yasi that while the emergency services
have their communications systems there is nothing to support the
community once the phones and cellular systems die. We (Cairns Amateur
Radio Club) are currently looking at structuring a network to provide a
facility for the community when/if the public communications network is
killed for an extended period so they can get messages to
family/friends/whatever outside the disaster area. It would be good if
that could be a two way system but one way is the initial plan.

Our planning is based on voice systems but a packet system would have
significant advantages over voice.

howard
VK4BS