[OZAPRS] D700 Internal GPS

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Sun Mar 6 08:58:05 EST 2011

I just posted this to the D700 Yahoo Group but maybe some members here
have D700s and aren't in that group...

In addition to my D700s I have a Yaesu FTM-350 with the GPS antenna
fitted to the control unit. This is so much more convenient than having
cable flowing all around the car to an external GPS as per the D700.

Has anyone added a GPS to the D700 control unit?

Now that they are getting so small it should be feasible. I was thinking
that a six core cable could be run from the control unit to the
transceiver and that two wires could carry the RS232 signal. At the
transceiver it may be possible to replace the 4 connector socket with a
six and wire the extra two connections to the 2.5mm connector. At the
control unit there would need to be another connector.

The GPS could be glued to the control unit case, hard wired and get its
power from the control unit.

One that is typical of those that could suit is at
http://www.twig.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=73&osCsid=bd1fa244de3488ef79940f3a9fbf9598.
Another, but without antenna, is at
http://www.twig.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=108&osCsid=bd1fa244de3488ef79940f3a9fbf9598.

Any thoughts?