[OZAPRS] APRSDroid (was Re: Field Day)

Steven Heimann steven at nami.com.au
Thu Mar 3 19:02:54 EST 2011

I have been playing with both APRSDroid and U2APRS since last week.  As
with most things they both seem to have strong points and weak points.

I like APRSDroid because you can leave it in text mode which presumably
uses up less of my data allowance and just select a map when you really
want to see one.  You have already pointed out some of the advantages of
U2APRS.

If you are not seeing any other stations on the map view then you
mustn't be getting a connection.  What messages do you get from the
application in the packet listing on the screen?  My settings are TCP
connection, first.aprs.net.au, and didn't set a port.

I found that when I followed the instructions in the wiki to set a time
and a distance to limit packets it didn't work.  It seems safe to set
the distance to zero and the time to 2 minutes.  I did this and watched
for the threatened flood of packets but it didn't happen.

Good luck and regards

Steven  VK2BOS