[OZAPRS] APRSDroid (was Re: Field Day)

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 3 15:59:42 EST 2011

On 27/02/2011, at 11:31 PM, Scott Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 23:16 +1100, Grant Diffey wrote:
>> What's the consensus on aprsdroid vs U2APRS for android?
>
> Well I'll give this one a try, but I've used APRSDroid and it does
> the job, but there's no eye candy to look at as it's simply text (I
> don't mind that) So I'll report back in a day or so of using ...

I've tried APRSDroid but can't get it to beacon (or at least, the
beacons don't show up on aprs.fi, and the app's The Map view doesn't
show any other stations.)

Presumably one or more of my server settings are wrong: I've tried all
the possible connection settings (UDP port 8080, HTTP POST, TCP.
Didn't bother with AFSK via speaker), and server rotate.aprs.net.au
(by itself, and also tried with :14579 and :14580.)

The APRS-IS validation passcode I copied from my UI-View, so that
should be OK.

Am I missing something obvious?

Anyway, these difficulties notwithstanding, I think I prefer U2APRS,
for its easier setup, messaging ability, switching between manual and
auto beaconing. Your mileage may vary, of course.

73 Richard VK2SKY