[OZAPRS] Foundation licences

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Fri Jun 24 12:29:07 EST 2011

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

It seems the IGate John is hearing is set up to broadcast any object
within say 200 km. The mobile F call was in range but is now in VK3.

Looking at the APRS spec, rather than being gated as a position report
of the form =DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhW$... a gate can send out an object in the
form ;OBJECT___*DDHHMMzDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhW$CSE/SPD/comments...

A position report requires the "from" callsign in the packet to identify
the object which limits it to 6 characters plus 0-15 SSID.

The object report has a 9 character object field so it is possible to
have a foundation call with a 1 digit SSID eg. VK1FABC-8. The SSID
convention of -10 for smart phones does not fit for F calls, unfortunately.

For an object report, the "from" callsign would be the IGate beaconing
the report (not a foundation call), so that's perfectly legal. The
foundation call only appears in the "payload" of the packet.

For more reading, here's the obligatory reference:
http://www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/PROTOCOL.TXT

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO