[OZAPRS] How much power do you use while HF mobile?

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 10 20:13:49 EST 2011

Rubbish!!!! You can NEVER have too much power ;-)
Steve is itching for me to put my two bobs worth in......
When we went across the Simpson Desert in 2009, I used a VK2ZSZ modified
Wagner (with a VK1IAN constructed embedded opentracker ;-) ) running at 50W.
The antenna was a rewound 4055KHz whip that measures about 2m long on a 12mm
fibreglass pole (can't remember the brand but that was contributed by
VK1TGX).
Anyway, coverage for the whole trip was fabulous; in Steve's words "it was
like watching me around town on VHF".
I too had trouble keeping the tip, having broken it 3 three times. When I got
home, I "retuned" it so it didn't need a tip. Lot of mucking about as the
heatshrink affects the tuning, but I will never lose a tip again :-)
I can't speak highly enough of the people around Oz and NZ that operate and
maintain the HF Igates. Non-amateurs who are barely computer literate, were
able to watch our progress. I'll be doing the same for our Lake Eyre trip in
2012; hopefully with a few more QSO's this time.
Anyway, given the Wagner is rated for 100W, I'm keeping mine at 50W as I am a
firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
So what is QRP anyway?? (very TIC).

Ian
VK1IAN