[OZAPRS] Homebrew HF APRS transmitter

Peter Schrader lists at rumpleteazer.net
Wed Jul 6 09:50:32 EST 2011

A few have asked what I put together.

I built a Small Wonder Labs PSK31-30 kit, changed the main LO crystal to
suit the 10147.6 kHz dial frequency, with a 4MHz IF, the LO becomes
6147.6 kHz.  The crystal came from Hy-Q in Melbourne.  Unfortunately
Small Wonder Labs have discontinued production of these kits,
http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/.

Used a Communications Concepts 20W driver amp module for the PA, setup a
pi attenuator to drop the PSK31 RF output power to 100mW to suit the PA
input.   http://www.communication-concepts.com/an779L.htm

An Argent Data Opentracker2 does the encoding, I had all sorts of
trouble using a OT1+, it is much more susceptible to conducted RF.  I
did try all sorts of techniques to stop the RF travelling up the control
wires, ending up giving up and using the OT2.  Using the ADM1 GPS from
Argent Data.

I constructed a standard LPF from Amidon cores and silver mica
capacitors to keep the output clean.

All packaged in a metal instrument box I bought from Jaycar.  I
installed a set of powerpoles under the dash which are energised once
the engine is running.  The box sits under the drivers seat.

Antenna is a surplus tapped helical whip to which I hard wired a wander
lead to make it resonant on 10147 kHz, it sits on the bull bar on a
heavy duty Codan spring base.

I guess it would have been easier to use something like a Codan, but
would have not been not as much fun :-)

73,
Peter
VK4EA