[OZAPRS] Tracking and DMR

Joe Nevin joe.nevin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 00:03:22 EST 2011

Over the last 6 months I have been working with the tracking capabilities of
the Motorola Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) technology, better known as
MotoTRBO.

While this is not directly associated with APRS, it achieves similar results
in regards to active tracking.  We are now exploring how we can 'borrow'
some of the APRS concepts to publish the data collected by the
TRBO technology.  The feature to note is that the GPS capability appears to
be inherent in the DMR spec, with DMR slowly gaining commercial acceptance
with the adoption of the standard by Motorola and Hytera who have products
in the marketplace, and products soon to be released by Tait, Icom and
Kenwood.  What is unclear is how DMR will coexist with some of
the propriety standards - a point that will be resolved in time.

If you want a brief overview on DMR, have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mobile_Radio

While we could get into a debate regarding the merits of the digital
radio standards, my current interest is the tracking, and what we can do
with the data.  At this stage I would suggest contacting me directly if you
are interested in discussing the technology.  Alternatively, I am interested
in sharing experiences if this is resolved to be the best forum.

Kind regards,

  Joe   VK6ZTN