[OZAPRS] 2.45 GHz Interference

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Mon Jan 10 22:12:54 EST 2011

People

Slightly off topic, but anyway. Wifi in my house has been really bad for ages. It just does not work. I thought it was interference from servers, but I replaced them, and things are still really bad. Well, today I needed to get some Perspex, and there was a cheap PC place a few doors down, so I picked up an 802.11n router for $55, that was supposed to have 5 times the range of 802.11g products.

After setting the device up, I tried to use my laptop in the Garage. No Wifi. Back to the office, and I found that it worked not too bad next to the access point, but it was marginal about 1.5m away.

I realized at this point that I probably had an interference issue. After all, what else could it be. Then I thought that it might be a faulty PIR on my alarm, since they are dual PIR/Microwave. Turning the alarm off resulted in fantastic Wifi performance. Turning it back on stopped the Wifi.

Then I went and found the manual for the PIR. Turns out that the units I purchased were not 10 GHz but 2.45 GHz.

Just something for people to watch out for. The units I have are from Crow Electronics

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/<http://www.radio-active.net.au/blog/> - www.radio-active.net.au/<http://www.radio-active.net.au/>