[OZAPRS] Small GPS

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Mon Jan 10 21:39:48 EST 2011

Well VK2SKY and VK3JFK are subscribed to this list.
There would have to be others out there too.

With RS232 signalling, you could mostly get away without using negative
voltages because the popular receiver chip, the MC1489 had a logic
switching threshold of about 1 volt with some built in hysteresis. This
was used in the PC and many other places.

The chip also had the (possibly unfortunate) capability to shift the
threshold to a different voltage. Some purist design engineers shifted
the threshold to 0 volts which stuffed up compatibility with a lot of
devices that generated no negative rail. Certainly, some PCs had been
designed by the purists and then didn't work with some devices.

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO