[OZAPRS] Thd72a

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Fri Jan 7 12:01:04 EST 2011

Andrew

I have the D72 and a VX-8R. Also have a couple of D700s and a D7A(G).
Currently trying to decide between a D710 and and FTM-310.

If I had to make a simplistic comparison between the D72 and VX-8R I
would say the D72 is a Rolls Royce and the VX-8R is a Lotus!

The D72 certainly does everything one expects of a good quality APRS
rig. All functions work - GPS is quick to find a fix, QSY function works
100% whether the second band is in VFO or MEM mode, packets are
processed correctly and display of such as WX is "sexy" with little
icons for temp, humidity, etc. I would prefer if the QSY function could
be a one button hit (maybe by programming the front panel PF key).

The Kenwood (free) software does the job. However the menu system on the
set (although pretty easy to get used to for D7 owners) is a little more
convoluted than it needs to be. It can be difficult to find settings and
sometimes they are available (it seems) only by pressing the F key while
NOT in menu mode.

It would benefit greatly from having the very, very good memory
management of the VX-8R with its Bank system that is easily set up with
software (but not so without) and gives the memory management great
flexibility.

Overall: recommend if your interest is VHF/UHF amateur radio, APRS and
packet.

I find the VX-8R is probably my preferred day-to-day ham rig with it's
fantastic frequency coverage, great memory management, FM radio and
small size. The D72 is my preferred APRS rig.

Where to buy in Australia? A friend up here just bought one from
Andrews. I understand you can get them from Strictly Ham. Of course the
temptation with our current AUD value is to get them from Ham Radio or
Ham City in the US.

Howard