[OZAPRS] VK4TTT

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Jan 5 13:23:03 EST 2011

If you know what you're doing, you don't need to 'hide' the online status of your boxes..

And if you had to deal with tech support at various ISP's very much, you'd know that blocking ICMP is an absolute nightmare when the ISP's customers have issues connecting to you.. - first thing tech support at the remote ISP does is try to ping.  No ping? They go "sorry its the remote site, talk to them".  Doesn't matter if it's actually that they're trying to send an email that breaches the sending domain's SPF, or if their source IP is in a blacklist, if they can't ping your server, they decide it's your problem and don't look any further..

Easier not to break the RFC's..

--DG