[OZAPRS] PK232 (Revisited)

kevcav kevcav at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 4 18:25:05 EST 2011

There are 2 different models of the PK232 manufactured by AEA. To get
the the extended mailbox you require need either an MBX model or you
need to add the extended daughter board (and additional Rom) to convert
the standard PK232 into an MBX model.

So if you have an early version PK232 its not just a simple matter of
updating the ROM images you also need the daughter board to complete the
upgrade.

As well remember the PK232 is not TNC2 compatible and the user software
can be difficult to configure.

Given the age of the hardware I consider it a marginal call to upgrade.

If you are considering the PK232 for HF use then consider purchasing a
SCS DSP tracker. I just need to add I have no connection with the SCS
company but am a happy owner.

Regards

Kevin