[OZAPRS] Field Day

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Mon Feb 28 18:21:45 EST 2011

Hi David,

> I picked up one of the handouts from the field day and there is
> several, what looks like barcodes on the sheet.
>
> Can you tell me what they are for?

Maybe I should answer that, seeing how I put them there :-)

They are called QR (Quick Response) Codes. The Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code
) will tell you all you could want to know about them.

Basically, if you have a smart camera phone (Iphone, Android-class
phone, Blackberry etc.) with a QR reader app installed, the phone will
scan the code to extract the URL, email address, phone number, or
whatever the QR code happens to contain. Then the phone can use that
to jump to the relevant web page, etc. It saves a lot of unnecessary
typing, and is quick, hence the name.

The previous version of the cheatsheet had a page full of web URLs,
which can be a pain to type. Most of these are on the Wikipedia APRS
page, so it made sense to just have the addresses of that page, plus a
few other key sites. The QR codes were just for the convenience of
those with the necessary gizmo to read them.

73 Richard VK2SKY