[OZAPRS] APRS SSID

Damien Gardner Jnr vk2tdg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 11:15:48 EST 2011

On 10/02/2011, at 10:55 AM, Howard Small wrote:
> Given that there are dozens of icons representing an APRS station from which to choose and that there is an identifier for the transceiver/tnc type, is there any real reason to stick to the original use of SSIDs where each one represents a different type of station?
>
> Seems to me to be redundant as the icon more accurately portrays a station than one of 15 SSIDs. If so then it would be simpler to use the SSID as one prefers, e.g. -1 for the first station, -2 for the second and so on...

Personally I've never had much used for the 'set' SSID's...  sure, my D7 uses -7 and my OT1+ on HF uses -15 (when it's used.. not often..).  But my D710 uses -8 (since -7 is used by the D7)..  And everything else just started at 1 (the VK1 igate, whose aprsd is still running, just not connected to a radio anymore) and has been allocated since there over the years..  -2 is unused, but was the aprsd running at home many years ago.. -3 is my log bot, -4 is the clone of the log bot doing real-time propagation alerting, digipeater outage alerting, etc, (when I finish it off, the project stalled this time last year, and hasn't gone any further ;) )   Then my macbookpro with xastir, my toughbook with uiview, windows in parallels on my macbook pro with uiview, and uiview on my garage PC all have their own SSID's..

Not that I actually look at APRS stations on a map very often (usually just watching a data stream via TCP or RF, or watching stations pop up on the 710 in the car..), but I tend to go on the icon and status text more than SSID...

Cheers,

DG