[OZAPRS] Merry Christmas

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Dec 23 05:56:23 EST 2011

G'Day All

I know this will probably start an avalanche of messages, but here it is anyway. Firstly, I would like to wish all the members of this group and their families a very safe and enjoyable Christmas period and a happy New Year. I trust they will be all that you are hoping for. I would also like to thank all those who do so many things to make APRS what it is today. Those who provide iGates, dig's, web sites, mailing lists etc. To all those people, thank you. Doing so actually costs some people real money, and this is appreciated. My contribution of paying for the renewal of the APRS.NET.AU domain is probably minute in relation to what some other people are contributing. And to the APRS users, thank you for using the services that we provide. It is our pleasure to provide them.

On a personal note, I have after so many years decided to learn to fly. I have now got 4.1 logbook hours, and hope to get my PPL sometime this year. I realised that I knew far too many people with pilots licenses and planes and how much of a buzz flying was. Landing in Langley Park in Perth in a plane that I helped to build was probably the thing that pushed me over the edge. In the near term, it is more likely that you will see me on APRS thanks to Telstra NextG on my iPhone, but I might get around to getting my own plane and putting an APRS tracker in it. We will see.

Unfortunately, learning to fly is somewhat dependant on my work situation. The company I have been consulting for has decided that they cannot afford to keep me on at the moment, and so I am after some electrical engineering consulting work in the areas of wireless systems, GPS or smart energy. I have some work lined up, but more would be good. This work situation does mean that I will be able to document some of the things I have been doing in the home automation and smart energy arena – and I will be talking to the Central Coast Amateur Radio Club about this early next year.

Merry Christmas to All

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459