[OZAPRS] APRS Tracker

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 30 21:14:30 EST 2010

I have seen a few "FREDs" around over the years.  None of them had even
a faint resemblance to any of the others.  I even built a few myself.

FRED is a very versatile and variable species.     In my experience, the
most spectacular was a pneumatically operated binary clock controlled by
a FRED which changed time every x seconds by opening and closing a
series of Venetian blinds - all done with air operated pistons.  The
whole system took up the area of the average house block, and was to be
photographed by glider pilots from and altitude of 3,300 feet before
starting a race to give them a correct starting time from a common clock
(FRED).    It was designed and built by a very enterprising farmer.
These days it's all done with a GPS logger in each aircraft.

Some would say some of my APRS systems resemble a FRED.  I would take
that as a compliment.

73
Terry