[OZAPRS] APRS Tracker

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Nov 30 11:08:17 EST 2010

This is all a bit OT but an interesting history of how it used to be.

FRED was interesting in that it used just 292khz separation. I don't
remember the exact history but when 2m FM started up in Sydney the
primary channel was 146.000MHz, known as Ch B.

In Sydney, Ch A and Ch C were 146khz below and 146khz above 146.000,
making them 145.854 and 146.146. FRED used those frequencies. It was
certainly active when I was licenced in 1969, I used to work it from a
hill off the Eastern end of Bankstown airport - Black Charlie's Hill.
ChA and Ch C were known as FRED and anti-FRED, for the small handful of
operators with a rig with more than one channel. I had an AWA MR20B (all
valve) with a whopping 3 channels!

There was much conjecture later about 145.854 and 146.000 because they
were in and on the top edge, respectively, of the satellite sub-band.

I don't recall the mechanism used for the voice ID but it was too early
for CD. For some strange reason, one of the early voice recording IC's
comes to mind. Timothy would know, he's at least 100 years older than me
and he almost lived at Dural back then.

Ray vk2tv