[OZAPRS] Ballina area pretty dead for APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Nov 8 07:45:40 EST 2010

Hi Shaun/All,

It was the loss of the major packet hub on Mt Sugarloaf (Newcastle) that
started the demise of the packet network for northern NSW. The rent
jumped to $5000 per year, from memory, when the government decided the
user must pay.

Home based digis are not without problems either, but are still a
possibility in some cases. A couple of issues to face up here would be;
1. finding an amateur living in a suitably high location who is able to;
     a) access the nearest digi (vk2rmc-1 around these parts) or,
     b) has decent internet access to be able to provide a gateway
(broadband is not universally available),
     c) is prepared to run the equipment 24/7 and,
     d) suffer desense to other 2m equipment (if they use 2m).

Just thinking about some "local" towns ...
Macksville - poor coverage due to low elevation but could access
vk2tmc-1 from many locations.
Nambucca Heads - the town proper would provide good fill-in but most
residences are not on the ridge where the town is located (mobiles
easily access vk2rmc-1 from the town area).
Urunga - the water reservoir is a reasonable site but it's owned by
local government (enough said) (could probably access vk2rmc-1 from
water tower).
Coffs Harbour  - mostly in a hole, being that it's surrounded on three
sides by The Great Dividing Range (no access to vk2rmc-1).

I wouldn't consider looking further north due to distance from here
(Coffs is 120km away). I can't for the life of me remember the name or
callsign of the  guy who installed a packet digi south of Graftion some
years back. Bob, I think, but that's the extent of my memory.

Nambucca Heads has a couple of potentially interesting sites in the town
that I "might" be able to gain access to that I'll plot for coverage.

Steve vk2sl is going to install a digi at his place behind Telegraph
Point. We've plotted and surveyed the site which will cover Port
Macquarie and fill in the Pacific Highway down to about Kew, leaving a
small gap from there to Coopernook. Some Wauchope coverage as well.  The
site can access vk2rmc-1 easily and, probably also vk2uni-1. Steve runs
a couple of properties that normally keep him busy enough but, recently,
he took on a beast and lost, leaving himself badly injured. We'll have
to await Steve's recovery before that project can continue.

Ray vk2tv