[OZAPRS] iPhone apps

Tim Ahpee tim at ahpee.org
Sat May 29 14:15:01 EST 2010

Hi Tim,

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 08:37:24AM +1000, Tim Vk2hlt wrote:
> Guys has anybody tried the aprs apps for iPhone ? I have got the free
> iaprs at the moment and not overly impressed. Ibcnu and openaprs look
> a lot better, which should I be spending my dollars on ?

I bought iBCNU late last year. It works but I wouldn't say that I'm
happy with it. Initially it just crashed out to the home screen all the
time but an update fixed that. Now my biggest gripe is with the GPS lock
accuracy.  iBCNU does not filter out GPS "locks" that are miles away from
where you last were, the resulting position reports are all over the
place.

I mostly use it when I'm out on a bike ride. Have a look at the plot
from my ride from Brighton to Frankston and back. You'll see what I mean
about the quality of the position reports. I can't ride that fast on my
bicycle...

http://aprs.fi/?call=VK3EF-8&dt=1272585600&mt=m&z=11&timerange=21600

I haven't used any of the messaging features.

I'd be interested to get some feedback on the openaprs app before I fork
out the big bucks to give it a go. (okay, all $3.99)

Cheers,
Tim
VK3EF