[OZAPRS] HF APRS

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Mon May 17 16:12:46 EST 2010

Howard,
	I used HF APRS on a trip over the Simpson Desert in July 2009 and it worked a
treat. People watching our progress reckoned it was like watching via VHF;
well nearly anyway.
	Posits were getting in consistently via VK4, VK2, VK5 and VK8. Even managed a
few into ZL.
	I have a TT3 buried in a Wagner 1729 with a home made whip which is about 2m
long. The Wagner is an ex-SES crystal controlled beastie that a mate coaxed
to operate on 30m with the help of a HiQ crystal.
	Only time I use HF is when I'm out of VHF range which is generally when we go
away. See here for photos of my setup:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014987&id=1097597881&l=7a1630233a

Ian
VK1IAN