[OZAPRS] [Fwd: [aprssig] SSID Standardization]

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 7 19:57:35 EST 2010

Hi all,

I thought the general move was away from SSIDs in favour of the GPSxxx
designator.

No doubt, some older hardware won't support it, so I guess we're stuck
with SSIDs for the next half-century :-)

A few comments:

- APRS stations could probably be categorised broadly as:

	- Fixed
	- Digipeaters and gateways
	- Land mobile
	- Maritime mobile
	- Aeronautical mobile (including spacecraft! :-)
	- Portable (or other low speed mobile ops)

- HF station probably deserver their own, as they use different
technology (ie 300 baud)

- Maybe one for temporary or special event operations

One SSID for each of the above each (ok, a few for co-sited digi/
gateways) would still leave a few SSIDs free.

- As for the Aussie standard, I've never understood why Kenwood rigs
ever had their own SSID, or APRS symbol (and leaves aeronautical users
out in the cold). Maybe there is a good *technical* reason.

- I don't see why truckers/full time drivers would need to be
distinguished from other land mobiles. Perhaps someone could enlighten
me.

73 Richard VK2SKY