[OZAPRS] OT: what to use for Antenna Tip?

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 29 08:56:25 EST 2010

> I was wondering when someone was going to mention co-tanger wire...

	I seem to recall this getting a mention in a Dick Smith catalogue in the late
70's. It was put in as a joke (I think the catalogue was published in April)
but there were people ordering the thing apparently!!!
	My HF APRS antenna is about 1800mm long and used to be cut for 4055KHz. I
unwound the thing and rewound it for 30m.
	On our Simpson trip last year, a combination of excess speed (trying to keep
up with the rest of the group) and having two HF antennas too close on the
bullbar, resulted in them "clashing", breaking the tip.
	I used coat hanger wire for a few days but found it too didn't cope with
being bashed against the FAMPARC, having to replace it nearly every day.
	I bought a (very) cheap wire CB antenna from Jaycar in Alice Springs, cut it
up and used bits of that for the tip. The rest ended up on the FAMPARC when
it's tip broke near the end of the trip.
	I've since spread the HF antennas to the extreme edges of the bull bar and
rewound the HF APRS antenna so it doesn't need a tip. Now that was an
interesting exercise in fiddling!!!! No clashes since; touch wood.

Ian
VK1IAN