[OZAPRS] OT: what to use for Antenna Tip?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Jul 28 09:39:18 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

I have a mobileone 30m whip on the car for HF APRS - it's a bloody great little (well, not so little :-p) antenna, but I'm having hell getting a replacement tip for it..  M1 have been nice enough to send me a couple of replacements, but one was too short, and the other, the envelope arrived without the tip! (actually the envelope arrived without the tip inside on the first one too, but the envelope and tip were in an Auspost envelope.. this latest one, there was just no tip in either envelope!)  Seems Auspost don't have any testing of envelopes before they go into the sorting machines, to see if they'll actually BEND..which is a bit bizarre.. - I've shipped THOUSANDS of LED's simply in an envelope with a sheet of thin card either side, and never had a complaint from customers..

So anyway.. - I really don't want to hassle M1 any more.. - they don't seem to want to tell me what the tip is (i.e. what type of steel, what diameter), so wondering if anyone else has had to replace the tip on their M1 whip themselves, and happens to know what I'm asking metaland to order in for me?

Cheers,

Damien

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust