[OZAPRS] TNC

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 12 19:56:23 EST 2010

I use the TinyTrak series - versions two and three as it happens.   They
interface OK with the 2 metre handhelds and mobile rigs I have used.

There were rumours that some of the newer ultra cheap HH's apparently
will go into sleep mode in some APRS situations  - check this out before
you commit to buying one for this purpose

My TT units expect _serial_ input from the GPS.  The TT4 may be happy
with a _USB_ input (I haven't used one), but this doesn't appear obvious
from the manual - explore this also.

I've also used KPC-3 TNC's which have the firmware upgrade to do  1200
VHF APRS work - they do the job too, but are limited to beaconing at a
set time rate - there's nothing necessarily wrong with this if you
follow the guidelines for beacon intervals.

As I understand it, any PK-232 was capable of 300 baud HF operation and
as such should manage HF APRS quite well at least as a base operation
using (say) UI-View and a HF rig tuned to the correct frequency.
There's almost certainly a Linux option here too,  and I would think
that there are many in this group who can advise you there.   I don't
think PK-232's were ever capable of HF mobile APRS work as a stand alone
unit, but I imagine someone will correct me if that's not the case.   My
TT3 does HF mobile APRS quite well anyway.

BTW Which EEEpc are you using -  and which OS?

Finally, Google is also your friend in all of these challenges.

73 & good luck with your experiment(s) - have fun  - that's why we do it,
Terry
VK5ATN