[OZAPRS] Computerless iGate

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Feb 28 07:14:21 EST 2010

On 27/02/2010, at 11:54 PM, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 04:11:04PM +1000, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I havn't done it, and I havn't heard of anyone who has, but I
>> imagine an
>> EEpc or similar netbook running Linux and Xastir would be cost
>> effective.
>
> That's not exactly without a computer though!
>
> I would like to be running my igate on my Linksys WRT54GS (running
> OpenWRT currently). However javAPRS is the preferred gateway software
> and it's Java. Maybe one of the free JVMs works well enough on MIPS
> for
> this to work, but I haven't tried it.

I'd be running APRSD for an igate? - javaprsd just seems like insane
bloat for an igate unless you're made of CPU cycles :)

second.aprs is one of six VM's on a dual 3.6ghz HT xeon, and is
currently using all 256mb of ram allocated to it (granted 90mb of that
is cached data, but it's also using 70mb of swap.. hrrm might push the
memory up next time a kernel update appears..), and is sitting with a
4.5, 5.28, 9.5  - I'm guessing she just finished the morning updatedb,
but even still it usually sits around a load of 2-3..  Although I
guess a lot of its CPU usage is in processing the packets to hand off
to the connected clients?

I'm all for java - most of the daemon software I write is java, but
there's something just not right about javaprsd..

--DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/