[OZAPRS] The Best Advice I Received Re APRS Tracker

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 21 10:07:31 EST 2010

Thanks Ray especially.

Of all the helpful suggestions, comments and advice- your statement
that Murphy is your constant companion, was the best advice so far.

While APRS and packet and indeed VHF radio are all new to me. Trouble
shooting is not. I've worked successfully in technical fields in
industry doing just that.

What I've confirmed.

My TT4 digi setup is working well, picking up lots of stations. I've
got the settings just about spot on.

My tracker, an MT8000 is setup properly from the factory for
Australian APRS with DEV set to max and PWR set to max. My problems
were manifold.
The antenna I'd been given for the tracker was in fact a UHF antenna.
I plugged the tracker into my car mounted antenna which has not been
used for some time, but the cable to it was defective.

I finally confirmed the tracker works well by plugging it into my 2m
home antenna and succeeded reaching all the local digis.

I am now awaiting an antenna from Byon.

David